StarseedYOU Instructor Terms
These Instructor Terms were last updated October 11, 2020.
As an instructor, you are contracting directly with StarseedYOU.com.
1. Instructor Obligations
As an instructor, you are responsible for all content that you post, including lectures, quizzes, coding exercises, practice tests, assignments, resources, answers, course landing page content, sessions, events, and announcements (“Submitted Content“).
You represent and warrant that:
- you will provide and maintain accurate account information;
- your Submitted Content will not infringe or misappropriate any third party’s intellectual property rights;
- you have the required qualifications, credentials, and/or expertise (including education, training, knowledge, skill sets… etc ) to teach and offer the services that you offer through your Submitted Content and use of the Services; and
- you will ensure a quality of service that corresponds with the standards of your industry and instruction services in general.
You warrant that you will not:
- post or provide any inappropriate, offensive, racist, hateful, sexist, pornographic, false, misleading, incorrect, infringing, defamatory or libelous content or information;
- post or transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, or any other form of solicitation (commercial or otherwise) through the Services or to any user;
- use the Services for business other than providing tutoring, teaching, sessions, events, and instructional services to students;
- engage in any activity that would require us to obtain licenses from or pay royalties to any third party, including the need to pay royalties for the public performance of a musical work or sound recording;
- frame or embed the Services (such as to embed a free version of a course) or otherwise circumvent the Services;
- impersonate another person or gain unauthorized access to another person’s account;
- interfere with or otherwise prevent other Instructors from providing their services or courses; or
- abuse StarseedYOU resources, including support services.
2. License to StarseedYOU
Unless otherwise agreed, you have the right to remove all or any portion of your Submitted Content from the Services at any time. Except as otherwise agreed, StarseedYOU’s right to sublicense the rights in this section will terminate with respect to new users 60 days after the Submitted Content’s removal. However, (1) rights given to students before the Submitted Content’s removal will continue in accordance with the terms of those licenses (including any grants of lifetime access) and (2) StarseedYOU’s right to use such Submitted Content for marketing purposes shall survive termination.
We may record all or any part of your Submitted Content for quality control and for delivering, marketing, promoting, demonstrating, or operating the Services. You grant StarseedYOU permission to use your name, likeness, voice, and image in connection with offering, delivering, marketing, promoting, demonstrating, and selling the Services, your Submitted Content, or StarseedYOU’s content, and you waive any rights of privacy, publicity, or other rights of a similar nature, to the extent permissible under applicable law.
3. Trust & Safety
3.1 Trust & Safety Policies
You agree to abide by StarseedYOU’s ethical standards which resonate within you. To listen and share your unique truths and not just repeat things you hear from other people and sites. You understand that your use of the Services is subject to StarseedYOU’s approval, which we may grant or deny at our sole discretion.
We reserve the right to remove courses, suspend payouts, and/or ban instructors for any reason at any time, without prior notice, including in cases where:
- a course falls below our quality standards or has a negative impact on the student experience;
- an instructor engages in behavior that might reflect unfavorably on StarseedYOU or yourself as the instructor, or brings StarseedYOU into public disrepute, contempt, scandal, or ridicule;
- an instructor engages the services of a marketer or other business partner who violates StarseedYOU’s policies; or
- as determined by StarseedYOU in its sole discretion.
3.2 Co-Instructors and Teaching Assistants
The StarseedYOU platform allows you to add other users as co-instructors for courses that you manage. By adding a co-instructor, you understand that you are authorizing them to take certain actions that affect your StarseedYOU account and courses. StarseedYOU is not able to advise on any questions or mediate any disputes between you and such users. If your co-instructors have an assigned revenue share, their share will be paid out of your earned revenue share based on the ratios you have specified in your Course Management settings as of the date of the purchase.
3.3 Relationship to Other Users
Instructors don’t have a direct contractual relationship with students, so the only information you’ll receive about students is what is provided to you through the Services. You agree that you will not use the data you receive for any purpose other than providing your services to those students on the StarseedYOU platform, and that you won’t solicit additional personal data or store students’ personal data outside the StarseedYOU platform. You will indemnify StarseedYOU against any claims arising from your use of students’ personal data.
4.1 Price Setting
When creating a course, you set the price, you set the sales price and you can change them at any time you choose. Alternatively, you may choose to offer your course for free. As a master instructor, you will also be given the opportunity to post a live session listing once you have at least one course that you are actively charging for on the StarseedYOU platform.
When a student purchases using a foreign currency, we will convert the relevant Base Price or your chosen Sales price into the student’s applicable currency using a system-wide foreign currency conversion rate set by Paypal. These conversion rates as per Paypal will be comperable to the rates at that given time and updated regularly.
You give us permission to share your courses for free with fellow instructors and staff if asked, and in cases where we need to restore access accounts who have previously purchased your courses. You understand that you will not receive compensation in these cases.
4.2 Transaction Taxes
If a student purchases a product or service in a country that requires StarseedYOU to remit national, state, or local sales or use taxes, value-added taxes (VAT), or other similar transaction taxes (“Transaction Taxes“), under applicable law, we will collect and remit those Transaction Taxes to the competent tax authorities for those sales. This may increase fees at some point, but usually, it will all stay within the originally charged fee prices.
5.1 Revenue Share
When a student purchases your course, we calculate the gross amount of the sale as the amount actually received by StarseedYOU from the student (“Gross Amount“) after receiving said payment from Paypal. From total we subtract the agreed-upon taxes and fees, leaving us with the net and provide our instructors with their commission rate. Each instructor is different, thus their rates have been offered and agree upon once signing up with StarseedYOU.com. If we change this payment rate, we will provide you 30 days notice using prominent means, such as via email or by posting a notice through our Services.
StarseedYOU makes all instructor payments in U.S. dollars (USD) regardless of the currency with which the sale was made. We will assume transaction processing fees, excluding foreign currency conversion fees and wiring fees. Your revenue report will show the sales price (in local currency) and your converted revenue amount will be provided to you via Paypal upon receipt of your payments. All conversion fees are to be paid by the instructor and not part of the fees paid to or by StarseedYOU.com.
5.2 Receiving Payments
For us to pay you promptly, you must own a PayPal and must keep us informed of the correct email associated with your account. You must also provide any identifying information or tax documentation (such as a W-9 or W-8) necessary for the payment of amounts due, and you agree that we have the right to withhold appropriate taxes from your payments. We reserve the right to withhold payments or impose other penalties if we do not receive proper identifying information or tax documentation from you. You understand and agree that you are ultimately responsible for any taxes on your income. You will be treated as a freelance employee and no income tax will be taken from your sales.
Once you have hit the $30 dollar sold level, you can request payment at almost anytime. Please note that if you are in another country than the United States of America you will be charged by Paypal a conversion fee, that are not the fees StarseedYOU charge. This is Paypal’s payment conversion fee and changes with the amount you are requesting to convert. For larger payments of $250.00 and over this can be $4.99 per payment and higher. We highly recommend you think about these fees and limit your salary to yourself to once or twice per month. Allowing you to lower your conversion fees with less transactions.
If a student asks for a refund after we have paid the relevant instructor payment, we reserve the right to either (1) deduct the amount of the refund from the next payment sent to the instructor or (2) where no further payments are due to the instructor or the payments are insufficient to cover the refunded amounts, require the instructor to refund any amounts refunded to students for the instructor’s courses.
While you are a published instructor and subject to the requirements below, you may use our trademarks where we authorize you to do so.
- only use the images of our trademarks that we make available to you, as detailed in any guidelines we may publish.
- only use our trademarks in connection with the promotion and sale of your StarseedYOU courses or your participation on StarseedYOU; and
- immediately comply if we request that you discontinue use.
You must not:
- use our trademarks in a misleading or disparaging way;
- use our trademarks in a way that implies that we endorse, sponsor, or approve of your courses or services; or
- use our trademarks in a way that violates applicable law or in connection with an obscene, indecent, or unlawful topic or material.
7. Sanctions and Export Laws
You warrant that you aren’t restricted from using the Services under U.S. sanctions or export laws (as an individual or as an officer, director, or controlling shareholder of any entity on whose behalf you use the Services). If you become subject to such a restriction while you are subject to these Instructor Terms, you will notify StarseedYOU within 24 hours, and we will have the right to terminate any further obligations to you, effective immediately and with no further liability to you (but without prejudice to your outstanding obligations to StarseedYOU). You will not use the Services to conduct or facilitate any transaction with any other individual or entity subject to such a restriction. You may not remove, export, or allow the export or re-export of the Services (or any product thereof, including technical data) outside the U.S. in violation of any restrictions, laws, or regulations of the U.S. or any other applicable country.
8. Deleting Your Account
Instructions on how to delete your instructor account are available on your instructor’s dashboard. We’ll use commercially reasonable efforts to make any remaining scheduled payments that are owed to you before deleting your account. You understand that if students have previously enrolled in your courses, your name, and that Submitted Content will remain accessible to those students after your account is deleted. If you need help or encounter difficulty deleting your account, you can contact us via email at email@example.com
9. Miscellaneous Legal Terms
9.1 Updating These Terms
From time to time, we may update these Terms to clarify our practices or to reflect new or different practices (such as when we add new features), and StarseedYOU reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify and/or make changes to these Terms at any time. If we make any material change, we will notify you using prominent means such as by email notice sent to the email address specified in your account or by posting a notice through our Services. Modifications will become effective on the day they are posted unless stated otherwise.
Your continued use of our Services after changes become effective shall mean that you accept those changes. Any revised Terms shall supersede all previous Terms.
Any version of these Terms in a language other than English is provided for convenience and you understand and agree that the English language will control if there is any conflict.
9.3 Relationship Between Us
You and we agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, contractor, or agency relationship exists between us.
The following sections shall survive the expiration or termination of these Terms: Sections 2 (License to StarseedYOU), 3.3 (Relationship to Other Users), 5.2 (Receiving Payments), 5.3 (Refunds), 8 (Deleting Your Account), and 9 (Miscellaneous Legal Terms).
10. How to Contact Us
The best way to get in touch with us is to contact support via firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear your questions, concerns, and feedback about our Services.